When I'm on my bike

When I’m on my bike I whuffle softly at passing dogs
Wuffwuffwuffwuffwuff
Because even though I am a grown woman I am still a child
We make eye contact and share a smile
Before I whizz away
The owner looking 
a bit puzzled

When I’m on my bike I can check out the bum 
of the person 
in front of me

When I’m on my bike I can get to work 
in the same amount of time it would take on the tube
The same amount of sweat
But I pay for my commute
with my legs and core
And spend my tube money on faraway holidays and 
savings accounts with pitiful interest rates
Because I am a Millennial
And we work bloody hard
and look after our income
as best we can

When I’m on my bike I understand the veins of London
The way the London Eye appears to be on the North bank
if you cycle back from Battersea Park
The way you can see Big Ben from the top of Whitehall
but not the bottom
My London bridges spreading outwards from
St George’s Circus
like the spokes of a wheel

When I'm on my bike 
on Waterloo Road South
Roast duck and crispy fried noodles 
in Chinatown
The rain coming in 
from the west

When I’m on my bike
and we have a hard ride
with phonefaced pedestrians
and obstreperous drivers
I give Claud a gentle pat on her plump saddle
and say
We did well today, Claud
Thank you for keeping me safe

When I’m on my bike

Photo by Debot at Dutch Wikipedia

______

If you enjoyed this post, you can follow me to receive new posts by email. Thank you for reading! 

Or see more posts here: Get in the tuktuk, no time to explain







Comments