Catching the bug

I started running properly in June 2009 when a group of people at circuit training said they would do the Dublin Marathon, and I decided to join them. Before that I had tried running a couple of miles here and there but always ended up walking some or most of the way. The first official training run I did was a 5 mile, and it was the longest 5 miles of my life - I was wearing what can only be described as sandpaper socks that day, and gave myself oozing inch-wide blisters on the arches of both feet. Strangely, that didn't put me off running (even when I went home, ran myself a bath and was horrified to see my blisters rapidly filling up with blood from the heat of the water). I continued my training, with copious support from the group, and the longest I have gone without training since that day is one week (I was sick - my excuse). We followed an 18 week programme very like Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 schedule; our aim was to finish the marathon smiling (and for me in under 5 hours). My time for Dublin was 4:45, a little slower than I would have liked, but the most important thing I learnt from my training was that I caught the Marathon Bug, and it just won't leave.

Ten months and four pairs of runners later, I have completed one marathon (4:45), one half (2:01) and two 10 mile races (1:37 and 1:28)

As I type, I am currently on week 17 of training for the Paris Marathon. I have 11 days left to go, and although I am not feeling as energetic or excited as I did for Dublin (I attribute this to the "first-time marathon bug"), I am confident that I will reach my target time of sub-4:30... update to come!

Comments

  1. Obviously, the collection of a writer must be a bundle of creativity. New ideas of writing become the reason of success. It makes your work worthwhile. Everyone wants to praise your writing because they bound by creativity. medium cursus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Story of this blog is well written. The writer kept in consideration the grammar very well. Level of English also very well. Lot many new words has been used while writing content of this blog. mediumschap leren

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment