Reflections and resolutions

We are nearing Christmas once again, and I have been reflecting on the past year and the preventative resolutions I made:

1. Don't run any marathons.
2. Don't get thrown out of any pubs.

I can report that (so far) I have met both of these goals, and I believe this is the first year I have achieved my New Year's resolutions in full. This is because I don't usually bother. After all, the 1st of January is generally not the ideal day to be swearing in a new, better, more perfect you by means of unrealistic goals and unnecessary ideals.

I've had a pretty busy year, and these events and places stand out most fondly in my memory:

  • The beach at Woodstown with family and friends in April: the calm between two storms. I will treasure this day for a long time.
  • Geneva, its lake, cheese, sights both landscape and athletic, and the most beautiful half-marathon course I have run.
  • France, and the fantastic, inebriated cuisine that none of us remember creating.
  • London 2012, Team Fun and all that is Olympiad-orientated. I am still carefully trying not to wish away the next four years of my life.
  • Breaking two hours in the Waterford half marathon.
  • Vienna, its weinbars, house parties and Danube.
  • Richard's curries. A delight of coriander, cream, toasted almonds and deliciousness.
  • Maple syrup and bear poo in Ontario.

And as a nod to one of the less fortunate happenings of the year involving a rural 10 mile run and a large dog, I will post only this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83AXh_C1Oug

I haven't missed running marathons at all this year, and the next time I run one I will be a) ready and b) aiming for sub four hours. Next year I anticipate more triathlons, faster races and - my first resolution - more writing. I plan to blog more, about what I have no idea, but expect a multitude of rambling nonsense, most of which will probably not be confined to running.

Happy Christmas, to one and all.













Comments