Taking it easy

I haven't reflected much recently (in writing) on my two New Year's resolutions: don't rush, and be extremely kind. I will expand on the latter in a different post. But during my travels over the last few weeks, I have gradually learned to slow down. When you travel through this many airports and stations and metro systems in relatively quick succession, you can't rush, otherwise you'll overexert yourself by way of backpack exhaustion, and suffer from existential airport meltdown. So, I've been purposefully relaxed in all ways recently, from the fairly vital detail of not (yet) missing a flight, to the little things that leave no room for stress, such as never running for a train or for the traffic lights. Just walk gently and take the next one that comes along. If I'm in the right frame of mind, it seems that most of the time these things work out in my favour. How many times have I sweatily galloped through the station as if my entire trip depended on this very train, leaping through the doors with bags swinging wildly, and then spent ten minutes waiting for it to depart, while a more calm and collected person steps on smoothly just before the doors close? It doesn't pay to rush. Sit down on a bench and ponder Zeno's Paradox instead.

I'm not implying that I am a highly organised, savvy traveller: quite the opposite, in fact. Just this morning whilst leaving London for my final UK stop before flying to Bangkok, I ambled around in the tube with my face in a newspaper, without really paying attention to which line I needed, and somehow ended up back at the station I'd just left. But I am taking it easy, and leaving myself lots of room for error, because clearly I need it.

I am sad to leave the lovely London, with all its vitality, and the kindness of strangers and friends. But it's time to change continents - it tried to rain on me this morning for the first time in a month - so onwards and eastwards! Bangkok - via Oslo - is my next stop.

Comments